11 dezembro 2006

serendipity

serendipity:
is the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely (in wikipedia).

movie plot:
on a bustling shopping day in winter, jonathan meets sara when both try to buy the same pair of gloves. two strangers amid the masses in new york city, their paths collide in the mad holiday rush as they feel a mutual attraction. despite the fact that each is involved in another relationship, jonathan and sara spend the evening travelling manhattan. but when the night reaches its inevitable end, the two are forced into determining some kind of next step. when the smitten jonathan suggests an exchange of phone numbers, sara balks and proposes an idea that will allow fate to take control of their future. if they are meant to be together, she tells him, they will find their way back into one another's life.
the majority of the film takes place seven years later, and consists largely of repeated "almost coincidences" where the two romantic leads almost, but not quite, meet.

ontem, em final de dia, passava os olhos pela televisão que temos, quando reconheci o início de um filmezinho que vi há anos, no cinema são jorge - 'serendipity'. gosto muito do actor (john cusack), mas o que verdadeiramente me prende a este filme é o tema. digamos que é algo que me causa muita.. angústia (é a palavra certa, infelizmente, à falta de melhor - ou pior, no caso). e mais não digo.

uma breve nota: um filmezinho só competente termina com um plano mágico - 'northern sky', canção de nick drake.

northern sky

i never felt magic crazy as this
i never saw moons knew the meaning of the sea
i never held emotion in the palm of my hand
or felt sweet breezes in the top of a tree
but now you’re here
brighten my northern sky
i’ve been a long time that I’m waiting
been a long time that I’m blown
i’ve been a long time that I’ve wandered
through the people I have known
oh, if you would and you could
straighten my new mind’s eye
would you love me for my money
would you love me for my head
would you love me through the winter
would you love me ‘til I’m dead
oh, if you would and you could
come blow your horn on high
i never felt magic crazy as this
i never saw moons knew the meaning of the sea
i never held emotion in the palm of my hand
or felt sweet breezes in the top of a tree
but now you’re here
brighten my northern sky